Saturday, March 28, 2009

Days in Gandhinagar

INTRODUCTION

It all started with the recession. My workshop in Peenya started receving less & less orders for tools & dies . I had bought a powerpress recently on the advice of some of my clients.
And man! that was really a bad move when the recession was just setting in ,though I had a few good orders for some time , it started to get worse afterwards. The loan I had taken to purchase the press started to haunt me .
That is the time I started to think about Gandhinagar in Bangalore to get some extra income. For people who are not familiar with Gandhinagar it is the equivalant of Hollywood in the U.S.A. Many of the producers & distributers have offices in Gandhinagar.
I had a talent to tell stories in school , so I thought to put the talent to good use and earn some quick bucks from the kannada film industry
This blog is a tour through the trials & tribulations of an aspiring script writer.

I was a little busy with my workshop work that I could not up date the blog , sorry for the delay.Though I have met many producers in the mean time nothing worth while happened

COLLEGE DAYS AND GANDHINAGAR

My first contact with Gandhinagar was when I was studing in S.J. Polytechnic, while traveling from my house to college , sometimes me and my friends used to travel from Bangalore bus station to our college through Gandhinagar. We came to know the offices of many promient producers of kannada film industry. I never knew this would would be helpful for me in the futher.

My college is next to Vidhana soudha & Cubbon park , in the 90's most of the film shoots of kannada films were done around Vidhana soudha & Cubbon park as the budgets were low.

While studing we had the oppurtunity to watch some film shoots around Vidhana soudha & Cubbon park. I had the luck to watch some shoots of hindi movies like Raja Babu etc.

SECOND COMING

After finishing my college I never had the oppurnity to visit Gandhinagar .I did some odd jobs & then eventually had to settle with my father who had started a tool & die making shop in Peenya. Then in 97or 98 the recession set in & work orders were hard to come by, & to kill time I thought to use my talent to tell stories which I had developed in my school days.
I visited some offices of film producers in Gandhinagar. one of them was kind enough to listen to me , he asked me to narrate the one liner of the story I had in my mind to him. I got a little confused & asked how could I say a story in just one line. He said me to just say the story idea to him.I told the story I had in my mind in brief which I fumbeled big time . The producer asked me to write the same properly & come back. I knew then I had to come prepared to narrate a story to any producer. By then the Industry had limped back to normalcy & went back to my daily routine.

THIRD TIME LUCKY.

Then in oct of 2008 the great recession started & again I had difficulty getting work. I had to lay off workers as I had to pay their salaries by borrowing credit . My father had already retired due to health problems. I was all by myself.
Once again the thought of Gandhinagar came to my mind, after sitting idle for some time.The kannada film industry was florishing at that time after the grand success of the film MUNGARU MALE . I made up my mind to to make a alternate carrier as I had already got fatigued doing tools & dies for 10 long years . My heart was ichting for a change to recharge my batteries.

SCRIPT WRITERS & THEIR ILK

Script writers are the most under paid people in the film industry, though every actor , producer & director swear by a good script & say it is their first priority for accepting a film.

I know many of you are thinking I have choosen a field like this , but to tell the truth story writing is one of the only talents I have got. I attempt at acting came a copper when I tried it in my high school days when I got to act in a school drama (Play). I was pathetic than in the scene in the film RANGEELA where Urimila asks Amir Khan to enact a few scenes from a film script.Then I had decided acting is not my thing.Better to stick to my talent.

I wrote a few pages of a love story with a little bit of action in it as the kannada film industry was witnessing entry of huge number of new comers , sons & daughters of cash rich real estate tycoons trying their luck in films.

I thought it would be smart to write a story keeping them in mind . As I later realaised that the real diffuculity was finding one of them.

I started to visit offices of producers & directors in gandhinagar. To my shock I discovered the recession had hit the film industry and everybody had frezeed doing new projects.Still I persisted has I had nothing to do . Some producers asked me to bring the full script.& that was dangerous because the next thing you will see your script made to film with somebodys name in

the credits.As I am smart I wrote only 50% of the script just to show them That I am compitent enough.Some stories I had just condensed the story to a page & showed them.Days went with very little sucess. Some days I had work in my workshop & whenever I was free I used to go hunting for potencial producers. Nobody was even intrested to listen to my script.

MY FIRST SCRIPT NARRATION.
one fine day I was lucky enough to visit a producer who was intrested in listing my script


No comments:

Post a Comment